Monday, November 12, 2012

Paying Attention to the Lord


He is worthy of our attention!  And He is waiting to meet with you at your Well to spend time with you today!  Psalm 16:ll He will show us the path to life; In His presence is fullness of joy; At His right hand are pleasures forevermore!

Good morning, blogger friends.  I know it has been some time since I have shared anything with you and I apologize to those of you who might have missed me.  This has been a very busy time for me as my granddaughter has started college in a town very nearby our home and her mother has moved here as well.  I guess one could say there has been a lot of moving and shaking going on. 

This morning I was reading in a prayer book about the importance of continually walking in a sense of worship.  Now many people are natural born worshippers and they would say, Oh yes, I can relate to this and this I can do.  Then there are people like me who didn’t really learn to “worship” until I had been a Christian many, many years.  In fact, I am still learning.

As I stopped and pondered that thought another one came to me.  I read one time that the root of the word worship is a little like “His Worth Ship” like His Lordship, indicating that He is worthy of our time and attention.  Now this is something that I can relate to very well and I will tell you why.

One of the most life changing concepts in my Christian life has been to learn to “practice the presence of God”.  At first, that did not compute with me either.  I tried and I tried to experience the actual presence of God with me.  I listened as some of my friends told of how glorious and healing it was for them to do so.

One day I was sitting beside a young man and I noticed that he had a ring with a cross on it.  I asked him about it.  He said it was a “rosary ring”.  I asked if he was a Catholic and he said no, but this ring helped him to remember to practice the presence.  It was comforting to hear that he needed a reminder.

Others responded in a similar fashion.  One lady told of how each morning she would put a dot of ink on the top of her hand and every time she would move her hands and notice the dot she would stop and remember that God was present with her.  Now I was beginning to get it.  So, I went downtown and looked for something to remind me of His presence.

I found what I call my cross stone.  It is a small white marble looking stone with a cross etched in it.  I began to carry it with me everywhere and, sure enough, every time I saw it I was reminded to stop and realize that God was present with me.  This was the beginning of a great healing for me.  I will share more about that in subsequent blogs.

But, let me ask you today.  Is it easy for you to think of God as with you, right here and right now.  Oh, you may have learned at some time that he is omnipresent, but is that real for you?  It was not for me until I began consciously remembering that He was and giving Him my attention.  For me, this is one important form of worship!

May I encourage you to find some little thing that might remind you today that God is with you!  it could be as simple as the dot of a pen or a rubber band on your arm, or even one of those colorful bands that are so popular today.  Anything will do, but do it.  It has been one of the most life changing habits for me.

I would love to hear from you about your thoughts on this idea.  Write and tell me if you tried it and, if so, how did it go?  Hopefully, I will be able to write some more very soon to tell you more about how I learned to experience His presence.



Meantime, I hope the Son is shining brightly into your world today and the warmth of His presence is changing your day!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I often wear a little bracelet that my youngest granddaughter made for me to remind me of God's Presence and His Goodness! Your post reminds me that I have not done that in quite a while, so today I'm putting it back on. Blessings on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terrie! It means a lot to me to have your feedback. Another lady joined today and said she made a lengthy comment but it has not appeared.. I wish it was easier for folks to do that. Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete